Fishy Fruit Chutney

I was born and raised on the Chesapeake Bay, and so you can expect nothing less from me than an intense love for seafood.  Luckily my kids have followed my lead, and adore the wares of the sea... hubby, not so much.  He'd rather have a hot dog than the shrimp, crab, clams, and scallops that we long for.  Luckily for him, with our budget, these things are delicacies, and don't come around so often.  He's not opposed to eating fish, which I vowed to serve more of this year, for health reasons, if I can make it tasty for him.  Well, being that my best tasty-tools were limited to lemon-pepper and garlic-butter, I felt hard pressed to find something new.

About a year ago, I bought a lovely, wild caught pacific salmon that came with a recipe for a suggested topping.  It had to do with papaya, mango, pineapple, onions, garlic, and something something else.  It seemed weird to me to put garlic and onion with fruit, but I tried it.  Who knew?!  I sure didn't.  But I know now that my fish finicky husband will devour this fruit chutney.  So, a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to try it again, with some flounder fillets.  This time I just whipped it up, no recipe allowed, only a guideline.  

  • A can of diced peaches, 
  • a can of diced pineapple, 
  • (including a little of the juice of each), 
  • a drizzle of olive oil, 
  • four minced cloves of garlic, 
  • one diced onion, 
  • salt, pepper, and a palm full of dried mint.  
  • Saute it in a frying pan until nice and hot, and Voila!  A very tasty topping to any fish you can catch (in the ocean, river, lake, or freezer section). 

This is my non-recipe, but you can put your own spin on it  Do the mango and papaya, or do the peaches and pineapple. Do the mint or not. You will definitely enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!