Saint Valentine and The Wonder Mop

Valentine. Latin form, Valentinus. The root word "valens" meaning strong, powerful, and worthy. I'll bet you didn't know that there was more than one Saint Valentine. It was a popular name. In the middle of the first century, Pope Gelasius 1 was quoted as saying "Valentine is a name justly revered, but who's acts are known only to God". It was for these men, that he established the Feast of St. Valentine on February 14, the burial date for one of the unknowns. Subsequent Valentines' are somewhat known, and are celebrated by Catholics around the world, at different times of the year. One such man was thought to have been imprisoned for sanctifying the marriage of Christian couples, in a time when it was illegal to assist Christians in doing anything. All were martyrs, being executed for their beliefs and practices. And so, most anything we attribute to Valentine, as the patron saint of love, marriage... and oddly enough, beekeepers and the plague... is kind of a compilation. The romantic notion of Valentine's Day, as we now know it, wasn't even documented until possibly the Victorian era.

History lesson aside, Happy Valentine's Day!  I know I'm a day late, but my Valentine's Day was all about the laundry, toilet cleaning, and shower scrubbing.  You see, my Mondays are dedicated to housework, and nothing short of a hurricane, or illness, can stop it.  Sometimes, not even that.  However, my Monday was just a little more enjoyable, thanks to the celebrating my Hubs and I did on Saturday and Sunday.

The coveted tax refund had arrived on Friday morning.  Of course we, we paid bills.  Then we restocked the household of things that were desperately needed.  Socks and underwear for all (yay!)... a fresh supply of batteries... printer ink and paper... dog food and kitty litter.  Then on to the good stuff.  A haircut and color, a new dress, and a mop.  Yes, you heard me, one of most appreciated gifts of the sweetheart's holiday was a mop.  Isn't that what every housewife wants?

As sarcastic as it sounds, I'm being serious.  I have wanted this mop for months, but my excruciatingly tight household budget didn't always allow for it.  When I did have the extra dough, I couldn't find the item.  But the planets aligned and I finally have the O'Cedar Pro-Mist floor cleaning system in my possession!  

Woohoo, no more bucket!  It's much like the Swiffer Wet Jet, but without the wasteful disposable cloths, and the costly cleaning solution.  O'Cedar has a washable pad, and I get to use my own multipurpose household cleaner.  No, I'm not on their payroll, I just really like the mop.

Well, we certainly couldn't let the new hairdo and black sparkly evening dress go to waste, so Sunday night we did the "dinner and a show" thing.  By Monday morning, I was one happy Mama.  Even happier when Hubs brought me roses after work.  He even gave one to each of the kids.  What a sweetie. 

So, in closing, I'll remark that my hair will grow, the color will fade, and the dress might make an appearance once or twice a year... but the mop is the gift that keeps on giving!

2 comments:

  1. Man, I gotta get that mop! My husband is looking at me like I've lost it,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did he give a rose to The Boy as well? lol j/k.

    I am in the market for a new mop as well. My mother-in-law just got a new one, much like what you are describing. It takes whatever cleaner you want, and has washable pads. Hers I think has a steam cleaning feature, or something that helps lift the dirt. I'm not sure exactly, I havent seen it in action yet. All I know is that my floors get so dirty so quickly, since no one knows how to walk through the house without their boots on.

    Sounds like your mop is a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for visiting the circus! Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!