Mini-Potted Pie Recipe Review

"Chicken Pot "Pie-Cakes" via "Sassy N Simple Facebook page

I shared this recipe on my own facebook page last week, with a promise that I would let you know how it turned out.  In case you missed it, here's the recipe again:

Chicken Pot "Pie cakes"

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 chicken breast, cooked and diced
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers frozen mixed veggies
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • Dash of black pepper to taste
  • 2 (10 oz) cans Pillsbury biscuits
Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, frozen veggies, cheese, pepper and spices. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin and place the Pillsbury biscuits into each cup, pressing into the bottom and up the sides. Evenly spoon the pot pie mixture into each biscuit cup. Slide into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Check at the 12 minute mark. Let rest for about 3 minutes and dig in! 


_________

First of all, is it just me ... or is it NOT incredibly difficult to flatten out those pre-made canned biscuits into the muffin tin?  I'm sure they're putting elastic in those suckers to make them constantly and instantly revert back to their original shape.  Is there a secret to this task that I'm just not aware of.  Please, somebody clue me in.  I ended up having to combine two biscuits per pie, and rolling them out with a rolling pin on a floured board.  But I liked the result.  I had enough dough to drape over the edge of the tin, so that after filling the cups, I could fold the extra over the top.  The filling, by the way, was just dee-lish!

I did NOT take photographs of my finished product because they did NOT come out as cute as the photo above.  But they were cute, in their own way, and my family loved them ... even the ones who aren't particularly fond of pot pies.

I WILL make these again.  They are yummy, and they're very cost effective.  However, next time, I WILL roll my own biscuit dough and cut the rounds to a larger size.  If you decide to make them, let me know how they turn out for you.