Zucchini Carrots & Rice, Oh My

This is definitely one of my favorite meals to make, and hey, I think my family enjoys it too, but that's not important right now.  Right now let me tell you simple it is, and most importantly, how healthy!  Did I mention that it's also cheap-O.  Oh Lord, I'm being possessed by Rachel Rae!  (Yeah, in my husband's dreams).


Sausage, Carrots, Zuccini
Here's what I do...
I slice up some sort of prepackaged sausage, like a kielbasa, and I toss it into my big, hot, cast iron skillet with a little butter.  As it sizzles, I stir it around a little, you know, so it doesn't stick and stuff.  Then I slice up a couple of zucchinis, and toss them in.  Then I slice up... or sometimes ... dump in a bag of pre-washed, pre-shaved baby carrots. (I actually put the carrots in first, because they're harder, and will take longer to soften than the zucchini).  I add some salt, some pepper, and a little Italian seasoning mix (oregano, basil, garlic, parsley). 

While all of that simmers over a low heat, I start a couple of boxes of Zatarain's Garlic Butter Rice mix in another pot.  Hec, I'd really rather do it in the microwave!

By the time the rice is done, the veggies are a bit more pliable, but I have to be careful not to over cook it, or the veggies lose precious vitamins (but it'll still taste great).  Serve the rice on the side, or pile the veggies on top.  That's it.  It takes about twenty minutes.  Less, if you're a faster slicer than I am.  And you know what else is great?  It's even easier when you have the kids make it for you!  


served over rice